Uninsured Motorist Property Damage: What Is UMPD?

Uninsured/Under-insured Motorist coverage, or UM/UIM coverage, is intended to protect people who are involved in accidents caused by drivers without insurance, or with insurance limits insufficient to cover the injuries they caused. A sub-category of UM/UIM coverage is Uninsured Motorist Property Damage coverage, or UMPD. Although UMPD is not available in all states, it can be purchased in Ohio, usually at minimal cost. UMPD is intended to cover property damage – your vehicle and, sometimes, other personal property – caused by an uninsured motorist. Certain restrictions can apply – for example, some UMPD policies will not pay for damage caused by a hit-and-run driver if the driver cannot be found or identified. In addition, UMPD is not always necessary if you already carry collision coverage on your own vehicle.

If you have UMPD or collision coverage, your own insurance company will usually pay for the damage to your vehicle or other property (subject to your deductible and policy limits) and then may later pursue the uninsured driver on their own in an attempt to recoup their costs. However, as the insured driver, you don’t need to worry about whether the person that caused the accident can pay your insurance company back or not – you’re covered under the terms of your own policy.

What UMPD covers or does not cover varies by policy. The interplay between collision coverage and UMPD can also vary by policy or carrier. Check with an agent as to what coverages may be available to you. While UMPD is not always necessary, depending on your existing coverage, it can be a valuable asset in certain circumstances.


See our popular blogs